Featuring the tips and tricks to boost your self-confidence. Enlighten the environment everywhere you go with the power of your confidence & personality.
By definition, “Confidence is a state of being clear-headed either that hypothesis for prediction is correct or that chosen course of action is the best or most effective.”
The concept of self-confidence is individual-centered, and people generally use self-confidence as a self – assurance in once judgment or ability or power. The self-confidence of an individual is usually increased from experiences of having satisfactorily completed some kind of goals or activities. One should keep in mind that there is a difference between self-confidence and self-esteem. Self-esteem is an evaluation of one’s worth, whereas self-confidence is more specifically about the trust in one’s ability to achieve a particular goal.
Importance of Self Confidence in your life
How does it feel to be self-confident?
Everyone in this world admires a self-confident person. And it is safe to say that some people are even jealous of self-confident people. They can ease with themselves and their job. They can invite trust and inspire confidence in the people surrounding them.
Self-confidence is more about an attitude of your skills and abilities. A self-confident person should be able to accept and trust himself and have a sense of control in his life. He is aware of his strengths and weaknesses and has a positive view of himself. He is able to set realistic goals and achieve them. This man has really good communication skills. And he can handle criticism with an optimistic approach.
What if you have low self-confidence?
If you have low self-confidence, you might be full of self-doubt, bi passive or submissive, or even have difficulty in trusting others. There may be a feeling of inferiority, and you would be very sensitive to criticisms. These things can lead to depression, deteriorating relationships, and performance in professional and social life, and hence you need to come out of it! Low confidence can be a result of various past experiences like growing up in an unsupportive and critical environment, being separated from essential people in your life at an early age, or not been given the opportunities and things which you deserve. At the same time, some colossal failures and blunders also affect self-confidence!
|A person who is self-confident||A person who is not self-confident|
|He will do what he believes is right, no matter what others say about his work or path.||This person is likely to behave according to what other people want.|
|He does not need to seek approval of others about the quality of work he is doing or if he is right.||Constantly needs the approval of others otherwise might feel something is wrong.|
|This person is willing to take risks and work harder than others to achieve his dreams.||He loves to stay in the comfort zone, fears failure, and hence avoids risk as much as he can.|
|If this self-confident person makes a mistake, he has the courage to admit it and will try to make amends and avoid repeating it in the future.||In case of a mistake, he will work hard to COVER UP that mistake so that no one notices. If people get to know about his mistake, he is likely to blame someone else or even luck for failure. Hence he never learns from his mistakes and is one of the major reasons for his failure!|
|He doesn’t indulge in extolling himself and prefers to wait for others to notice his work. He lets others admire him for his works.||This person with low self-confidence often praises himself for his work to get noticed by other people.|
|Accepts compliments graciously by saying, “Thank you for your compliment; I really worked hard for it!”||He tends to think that these compliments are mere flattery and even goes on to think that the person complimenting him has made a mistake! They often use such sentences- “Oh, that was nothing, to be honest! Anyone could have done it!”|
|Generally, a self-confident person has a well ordered and simple life. He follows a certain schedule and has good habits.||Such people generally have a messed up life. They don’t follow schedules regularly and have a lot of bad habits.|
|When adversity hits him, the man with self-confidence can bounce back, sometimes even stronger than ever.||During adversity, the man with low self-confidence tends to get depressed and give up on working. They can never raise themselves from those adversities.|
|These people do not need to deal with depression and always have a smile on their face.||These people often have to deal with depression and generally have a sober face.|
|People love to interact with a self-confident man and build a relationship with them. They feel some kind of positivity by staying around them. They generally have an attractive and charming personality.||People generally avoid men with a lack of self-confidence. This is due to the fact that they get negative vibes from him.|
|People with self-confidence tend to motivate others to do better and also never reluctant to learn from others’ mistakes and adversity.||These people do not have the ability to motivate others and, in fact, try to avoid them during their bad times.|
This tabular difference shows how terrible it is to be a person with low self-confidence. Are you facing problems of low self-confidence? Then this blog is for you! You can boost his or her self confidence by following certain things listed below!
How To Improve Your Self Confidence?
Developing a good attitude
- Identify your negative thoughts and turn them into positive ones: Thoughts like “I cannot do that,” “I will surely feel,” “no one wants to hear what I have to say” are pessimistic. They will get only whole you back from achieving a better self-confidence. You should be attentive to the negative pass and turn them into positive once like, “let’s try it once,” “I can be successful if I work hard at it,” “people will listen to me” you should do things which your brain thinks you cannot do.
- Focus on positive thoughts more often than negative thoughts: This practice will help your positive thoughts to occupy more brain space than negative thoughts. This will help you think optimistically about yourself.
- Maintain a healthy support network: You should start staying with people who are close to you and keep your perspective uplifted. Furthermore, stay away from people who make you feel low about yourself. There will be some friends who may make you feel depressed by constantly reminding you of what you cannot do or even criticize you. The same applies to some of your family members who continuously keep telling you “what you should do” and disapproving of your decisions about your future. These people can be destructive to your self-confidence, and you should avoid them as much as you can. Instead, make it a habit to spend more time with people who make you feel better about yourself and make you feel great.
- Eliminate things which make you pessimist about yourself: Avoid spending time around things which remind you of a bad past, or makes you feel low about yourself. Indeed, you may not be able to get rid of all these things, but still, you may try to avoid as much as you can. This will surely help you to concentrate on more positive things.
- Identify your talents and work on them: Everyone has a natural talent or has a zest on a particular thing. Identify those things/hobbies and work on them. You should be proud of those talents. Express yourself through art or music or writing or dance. This will help you to enjoy yourself more, thus forgetting about the bad things in your life. Apart from boosting your confidence, adding a range of variety also increases your chances of meeting friends with the same area of interest.
- Take pride in yourself: You should think about your talents, which makes you better than the average population. At the same time, there are certain traits of yourself, which makes your personality great. Be proud of those traits! Note them down and work on them to make yourself worth remembering for those personality traits.
- Accept compliments gracefully: Many times, when we receive praise, our critical mind tries to undermine them as ‘flattery’ or tends to think that ‘the person might be mistaken’ You should instead take these compliments to your heart and reply with a positive attitude like saying “thank you” with a bright smile. You should let the person complimenting you that you really are thankful for the acknowledgment, and you truly accept the compliment by heart. You can note down these compliments in a “list of things which make me a better person” and bolster your self-confidence by reading them daily.
- Look in the mirror and smile: Studies surrounding “facial feedback theory” suggest that “the expressions on your face encourage your brain to intensify those emotions.” So, try to look in the mirror and smile. This may help to make you feel happier and help you to accept your look, no matter how it is.
Dealing with your emotions
- Be comfortable with fear: People generally think that self-confident people do not have any doubt in their minds. It’s not true. Every human being has fear, whether he is an average citizen or the President of the United States! Anxiety can be anything- asking your boss for a raise, speaking in public, or to ask someone out! When a person can confront what they fear, he will surely boost self-confidence and will feel the boost almost immediately!
- Be patient with yourself: Most of the time, we are bound to fail when we try to overcome a particular fear for the first time. Suppose you go out to sell a specific product to someone, and you fail! This does not mean that you should start thinking negatively about yourself. You should instead take some time off, reflect upon your failure, and try to understand how you could have done better!
- Focus on maintaining a balance: You should keep a balance while trying to build your self-confidence. Having too little confidence about yourself may end up failing you. But, at the same time, you should not overestimate your capacity to achieve a specific goal! Try to be more realistic by maintaining a balance between confidence and critical thinking.
- Avoid comparing yourself with any other person in the world: Everyone in this world is a different individual. So it’s always advisable that you should focus on improving yourself rather than trying to become like someone else. This habit of comparing yourself with others in terms of money, personality, academic records, etc. will only tell upon your self-confidence. The only person you should weigh against yourself to is YOU! You should accept the fact that no matter what you do, there will always be someone better than you in some aspect. So the opposite should also be exact. A person should be happy with what he has, rather than thinking about what the other person has.
- Additionally, some studies have revealed that spending a lot of time on social media encourages people to compare themselves to others as everyone tends to post about their triumphs. They avoid posting about the realities of their daily life. You should know that every person in this world has to go through inevitable ups and downs in life.
- Accept your mistakes gracefully: Nobody in this world is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. Even Jack Ma, the founder of Alibaba Group, has made a massive blunder in his strategy during the initial stages of Alibaba. But that never stopped him from growing. He was quick and bold enough to accept his mistakes and make the necessary corrections. If you have made a mistake, acknowledge it and make plans to avoid making that particular mistake again!
- Start being thankful for everything you have: One of the significant reasons for insecurity and lack of self-confidence is a feeling of not having an abundance of something. This makes you feel negative about yourself and hence affects your confidence! You should instead be grateful for what you have and cherish them. This will help you to fight dissatisfaction. Appreciating what you have helps to bolster self-confidence significantly. Take some time off and think about the great things you have- like family, friends, good health, etc.
- Review past achievements: Everyone has done something great in his past, which made him proud of himself. Prepare a list of “My ten biggest achievements” and read them daily. This will help you to feel better about yourself, and when facing a challenge, you may tend to face it with more confidence!
Caring for yourself
- Learn to take care of yourself: Taking responsibility is a way of telling yourself that you deserve some love, care, and time. You may start bathing, brushing, grooming, and eating daily. You should also take some time off and go out for a walk, alone. This helps to boost your confidence.
- Take care of your appearance: Here, you don’t have to look like Cristiano Ronaldo or David Beckham. If you want to feel better about who you are and how you look, start taking care of your appearance. Wear clothes that suit your body type and fit you, comb regularly, and wear attractive shoes. Spending time on these things will give messages to your brain that you are worth taking care for and will also boost your personality. People having low self-esteem often tend to neglect their appearance and particularly hairstyle.
- Exercise regularly: Studies have revealed that exercise helps you to improve your attitude towards life, which eventually increases your self-confidence. You can go for a walk or go to a gym, according to your capacity.
- Take up a contact sports or athletics: Playing some contact sports like football or athletics like sprinting helps you to release the bottled up negative emotions, which in turn boosts your self-confidence. Also, this helps you to remain healthy and active. You might have seen people who indulge in sports like football, basketball, or sprints have a charming personality. Guess why?
- Sleep well: Sleeping for 6-7 hours a day can make you feel better and more confident. When you do not get proper sleep, it makes you feel weary all the time, and this affects your self-confidence and concentration. Plenty of sleep helps you to deal with stress and enhances your emotional management aptitude. Additionally, waking up early in the morning is also essential. This helps your brain to think that you have some extra hours to work effectively.
- Improve body language: Improving body language will not only make you feel more confident about yourself, but it will also enhance your personality, thus making you look attractive to the person observing you. While studying or doing some office work, you should also take care of sitting correctly or in a way that makes you feel confident about yourself. This will not only help you to boost your self-confidence and personality but will also increase your efficiency and concentration on work. You can refer to various books and videos to improve your body language skills. I recommend you to read “Body Language” by Alan Pease.
Setting goals and accomplishing them
- Clarify your goals and plan accordingly: You should be aware of what your goals are. And if you have not planned it yet, it’s the right time to do so! According to some studies, your goals should be S.M.A.R.T (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-bound). Set your goals by applying the SMART technique. You should go for some crazy purposes like buying a BMW or getting selected in your country’s National Team! Everything is possible. You just need to work hard and plan properly! Once you’ve set your goals, break them into mini-goals, and set the target weekly. Then, focus on those small goals and try to achieve them in the decided time. This will take you closer to your crazy goals. And completing tasks and goals, no matter how small it is, will inevitably boost your self-confidence!
- Visualize yourself achieving your goals: One of the reasons why most of the successful people promote the practice of visualization is that it helps you to increase your self-confidence and can help you to stick to your goals, no matter how bad the situation gets. The other benefit of visualization is, you can attract that success towards you by using the Law of attraction, as stated by Rhonda Bryne’s The Secret.
- Note down the areas of improvements and work on them: Everyone has scope for improvement, and one should never stop growing. You should identify your weaknesses and the areas where you can improve. Evaluate them properly and note them down. The flaws can be related to anything- your health, social, professional or personal life, your relationships, etc. and you can always improve them! Making progress also strengthens your self-confidence!
- Visualize yourself as a confident man: Visualizing yourself regularly as a man full of self-confidence will help you to become that person. It will make you brave enough to face a tricky situation with all your wisdom and confidence!
- Ask for help and seek to help others: Generally, many people hesitate to ask for help because of various fears. They can be fear of rejections, or being seen as incompetent or even exposing your weaknesses to others. However, it is significant to note that when someone helps you to improve a particular fault of yours, you are becoming a better version of yourself. This also makes the helper feel that you are not arrogant and self-centered. At the same time, you should also offer to help others as much as you can. When you help someone, you start feeling good about yourself and thus, boosting your self-confidence in the process!